I picked up a strange issue with a Win 7 64bit laptop that could not browse at all. I checked all the network settings and was able to resolve DNS as well as ping websites. What was even stranger was that after installing Firefox I could not browse using that either.
After struggling for more than an hour I tried the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer and browsing was working.
After much research and trying every possible option like browser reset and even uninstalling IE 9. I found the following commands which solved the problem:
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit
I assume it was a Adobe Reader update that caused it as the client told me Adobe asked him to update and after that he computer just hanged. That is when the problem occurred.